Monday, March 23, 2009

Weekend Update

Sports

What a weekend in sports. Everything from the NCAA Basketball Tournament kicking off to the WBC winding down this has been one of the best sports weekends of the year.

-How's your bracket doing? The Sweet 16 is set. Arizona is the lowest seed still remaining in the tournament, after upsetting Utah in Round 1 and defeating Cleveland St. in the 2nd round. I will say that I have 14 of the 16 teams remaining as well as all of my Elite 8 still in tact. Knock on wood, it could be a good weekend coming up.

-Team USA fell to Japan in the semi-finals of the 2009 World Baseball Classic Sunday night in L.A. The Japanese team will now take on Korea in the finals as they try and repeat as champions of the WBC. Korea is coming off a gold medal performance in Beijing at the 2008 Summer Olympics. Should be a great game.

-Kyle Busch turned left better than anyone on Sunday at Bristol Motor Speedway. Kasey Kahne finished in 5th which was 4 spots below where I needed him to finish to win our Nascar pool. Oh well.

Entertainment

-Sad news from across the pond. British reality TV star Jane Goody has passed away following a very public battle with cervical cancer. Goody was famous for starting on the British version of Big Brother. She is survived by her new husband Jack Tweed, and her two sons Bobbie (age 5), and Freddie (age 4).

-Knowing has captured the weekend battle at the box office. The Nicolas Cage movie brought in $24.8 million over the weekend. I Love You Man starring Paul Rudd came in 2nd, and was followed by Duplicity which starred Julia Roberts. I haven't seen any of them, but feel free to comment below if you have.

-Today Show host Matt Lauer was absent from the set this morning after flipping over the handle bars while riding his bike in New York over the weekend. Apparently a deer jumped out in front of Lauer forcing him to slam on his brakes and he flipped over the handle bars. What a guy won't do for a day off!

Business

-The Treasury Department has unveiled a long awaited plan to remove troubled assets from the books of many banks. The plan calls for our tax dollars, along with money from private investors to buy up the toxic assets that come from many bad mortgages and other loans.

-Struggling with your finances? Well fear not my friend, the world's cheapest car is not far away. The "Nano" (no Steve Jobs did not create the vehicle) will sell for around $2,000 when it debuts this summer. I'm sure you will get your money's worth.

The Links

-Mike C. sent in this video which pretty much summarizes how I feel about my usual lunch. My how I love Chick-Fil-A.

Do you have link you'd like to share? If so, PLEASE feel free to e-mail it to 8hourstokill@gmail.com. I post articles that I find throughout my morning travels online, but I know many of you have much more entertaining links out there and I'd love to be able to share them with all the readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment